Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pesto the Magician!











Tonight the kids got to go to a magic show that the Library put on. They invited "Pesto the Magician" who centered his act around reading books. I missed a little bit of the beginning of the show because I was trying to round up batteries for my camera. TJ made sure to tell me about everything I missed though. This trick was based on the story, "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie". Pesto had a little boy come up from the audience and pretend to be a mouse. He would do tricks pertaining to each page of the book he read. The big white thing behind them was the straw for the little mouse to drink his milk with. Pesto pulled it out of his little box. He just kept pulling and pulling. It was cute! I loved that all of the books that Pesto used as part of his demonstrations were books that we have and that I've read to the kids. That made it even more interesting to them.













This trick was fun too. Pesto was taking an art lesson by audio tape. He followed the instructions and drew a picture of a face on a dry erase board. When he was done, the face moved his eyes. Then it started talking. The kids thought that was really cool!! Everyone was laughing.













Another book series that he based some tricks on was the "Magic Tree House" books. Last year I read numbers 1-25 of the series to TJ. We still need to buy books 26-37, plus any more recent ones that are out. TJ absolutely loves these books, so this was really fun for him. Pesto took them on an Cowboy Adventure, just like Jack and Annie in the books. He had each of the kids close their eyes and point to where they wanted to go and say over and over, "I wish I could go there, I wish I could go there". They were going to Cowboy Country. When they opened their eyes Pesto magically appeared as a cowboy.










Here are some pictures of each one of the kids going on their Cowboy Adventure. I was surprised that none of them even peeked.













Here is Tyra raising her hand. She wanted to be picked out of the audience to help Pesto with one of his tricks. We sat a few too many rows back to be picked though. She really is such a brave little girl. TJ wouldn't even raise his hand for fear that he MIGHT get picked. Afterwards he kept telling me that he wanted to go on another adventure, like Jack and Annie, though.

Pesto did some really fun cowboy tricks. Even little Braxton stayed entertained the whole time. I was actually pretty worried about bringing him because he has a very short attention span. My absolute personal favorite trick of the night was the trick where Pesto started off with two bottles and two glasses and he kept making more and more appear. After he had done most of it, I took a short little video clip of the rest of it. It REALLY was an awesome trick.

Here is the video:


Pretty cool huh????

Pesto did tons more tricks that I didn't mention, but I didn't take pictures of those ones. He used several other books for his tricks too. He even gave all of the kids in the audience a book mark. When it was over, we got to go up and get a picture taken of the kids with Pesto the Magician. I also bought a magic trick book written by Pesto for TJ. He is so excited to try out some of the tricks. All in all, even though the kids ended up staying up later then usual, it ended up being a really fun night. I am so glad we went. What funner thing could you do for a Family Home Evening?

No comments: