Saturday, August 30, 2008

Enjoying the Parade! (and food)

Today marked the beginning of the Eastern Idaho State Fair, which is one of my kid's favorite things to do all year. This morning was the parade and it was HOT.

I have to admit, usually the parade is pretty boring and this year was no exception. But the kids love it, so that's what matters, I guess. Although, this year they did something that I really enjoyed. They had cops from all over South East Idaho show off their vehicles, including fire trucks and ambulances. They all had their sirens blaring and their lights flashing at the same time. It did get pretty loud, but it was really neat to see. That was TJ's favorite part of the parade. Mine too, actually!

This is Tommy's friend, Shawn. They have known each other since shortly after Tommy and I got married, over 13 years ago. Shawn became a cop in our little town so we get to see him a little more often now. He and his wife, Jessie, also play on our soccer team with us. He had to patrol the streets during the parade. Come to find out too, he got hit by a drunk driver on his way home, while driving a motorcycle. He flew in the air, landed and got right back up. The lucky dog! Thanks goodness he was okay.

This was my favorite float of the whole day. It said, "Wonka, Golden Ticket to Fun!". I thought that was pretty clever. They had a TON more little Oompa Loompa's, but I didn't get very many in the picture.

This is the company that Tyra took gymnastics from this summer. The guy jumping on the tramp was the T&T National Champion of 2004, 2005 and 2006. He was amazing! My camera always has a little delay when I take pictures so I didn't get him doing his cool tricks, so just believe me.... they were REALLY cool!!

Here are TJ and Tyra with some cousins and friends competing for who can get the most candy. TJ almost even caught a little Frisbee. His hands touched it but he couldn't quite grab it out of the air. Dang it!! He was sad, but YAY! for me. One less extra toy that will be left out of place at our house!

Here is Braxton scrambling for the candy that was tossed his way!

This is the owner of Down Town Dance. Her name is Amy Mow and she is one AMAZING women. Tyra is taking dance from her this year and starts in a few weeks. She is SO excited because she gets to have Amy as her teacher. I am excited too!

My little niece, Alexis, got to ride the float for Down Town Dance. The younger groups of the competing team rode and the older one's danced. I tried to take pictures of the girls dancing but didn't get any good ones. Alexis is the one with her arm hanging over the edge with a black brace on it. She broke her arm just before swim camp. It was so sad. I am sure she is SO happy to have gotten her pink cast off.

Here are the kids watching the parade. I had to jump in the way for just a few seconds to snap a picture though. They are used to it though. My kids are so used to saying "CHEESE" for the camera that I don't even have to tell them anymore. As soon as they see the camera come out it's become an automatic thing now!

After the parade the kids were starving, of course, and seeing how we live about 20 miles away, we figured they probably COULDN'T wait any longer, so we went to "Taco Time" for lunch. Actually, we just didn't want to hear them whine about it the whole way home and then still have to think of something to make for lunch!

I let TJ take some pictures and LOOK!!! I was actually there! I am usually the one taking the pictures, so I don't get many of me. TJ took quite a few, but not very many turned out. He did get a few good one's of some of their cousins that came to eat with us. Actually, Tyra took a great one of Alexis. I will add a few of their pictures in a slide show as soon as I can get to it.

Here Tommy and TJ are ROLLING their eyes at me because I am taking pictures AGAIN!!! HA! HA!

All in all, today was a pretty fun day. Now the kids are counting down the days until they get to go to the fair to ride the rides. I think we will go on Thursday this week. Also, we will get to see if TJ won anything with his 4H entry's too. That will be fun!

1 comment:

The Hunters said...

Sounds like you guys have a fun day at the parade. I'm jealous, you got a pic of Shawn, he wouldn't stop when he rode past me. what a bugger!