Monday, September 22, 2008

Canning Tomatoes with mom and Tyra

My mom came over today to help me can tomatoes. I didn't dare do it completely by myself for the very first time. No one wants to get Botulism, do they? I hear the canning books are pretty scary, so I've decided not to read any of them. Just kidding! I have one on order.

Of course Tyra wanted to be in on all of the action too! She really IS such a good helper though. I just LOVE having her around. She is good company AND she works hard. What more could I ask for??

Look at Tyra go! Notice how we both have green shirts on and our hair has two little bobby pins in it. We had to look like twins before we could start working. Being my twin is one of Tyra's favorite things to be in life. We usually color coordinate at least three to four times a week, down to the pants, shoes, jewelry and all. I get such a kick out of my little girl!! She is so fun! Squish Tyra, SQUISH, SQUISH!!!

I sure hope that I remember everything my mom showed me. I probably should have been writing it all down some where. If I do tomatoes again, I will probably be calling and asking her questions every few minutes. Oops! My mom is SO wonderful. She always drops EVERYTHING to help me with things. I love her so much. If I could be half the mom she is someday, I will be doing great!

Tyra took these pictures, so sorry they're blurry. Here I am again, with my "left over makeup face" from the day before. I mean come on... does anyone really get all prettied up to do canning??

In the process of canning,... actually in the "processing" time of canning, Tyra decided that we both needed to be wearing green piggy tails, so she fixed BOTH of our hair. Also notice the green fingernail polish we both have on. Gotta love green! She actually did change into her jammies though, so we were quite twinners for the picture anymore. But here are a few pictures of some of the finished products. Ouch, they are hot!!

I really would like to can applesauce and peaches this year too. My good friend, Laurel, is going to show me how to do that. I think it will be fun!! I am having a terrible time finding more canning jars though. Apparently, more people have been canning this year then in a LONG time. Everyone must be getting real worried about our economy, but as for me... I just FELT like it this year. Great! Now it's time to clean up.. yuck!!!

1 comment:

Controlling My Chaos said...

How funny. I didn't realize how long it has been since I stopped by your blog and I missed all of this. It was fun to look at your canning pics and hear about it. Too bad I didn't read it before I started my own.