Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our Yummy Garden Dinner

Today we had the best garden dinner. I had to take a picture of it because I was so proud. We had mashed potatoes, corn, tomatoes and green lettuce in our salad, ALL from our garden this year. I experimented with tons of types of lettuce and ultimately I could only deal with eating the regular green leaf lettuce. All of the rest of the stuff was too bitter for me. I planted lots of weird things like okra, rutabaga, kale and artichokes. I also planted beans, peas, carrots, lots of different kinds of radishes, beets, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkin, green peppers, onions, leek, squash and over 20 tomato plants. There are probably several more that I am forgetting too. I did a lot of experimenting this year.

I think next year we should just do tomatoes, of course, and beans, peas, corn, carrots, potatoes, green peppers and onions. (Mostly things you are able to CAN.) Everything else goes bad before we can eat it all. Look at our little cherry tomatoes. We even had cute little orange ones and little yellow pear ones. They all were SO yummy! I am so GLAD that Tommy loves tomatoes as much as I do, because none of our kids like them yet. I would be so sad if Tommy didn't either. Well, it was a DELICIOUS dinner today. Thanks mostly to Tommy! I planted the garden and weeded it here and there but he did everything else. What a guy!!!.... Oh, he also MADE dinner!

No comments: